Pages

10/30/2015

Lowering Cholesterol on a Low-Fat 80-20 Diet

My husband forgot to take the trash can to the curb on trash pick up day this week. I heard the truck coming so I dashed outside just in time to get our load added to the collection. It was cold outside and I was making a run for the warmth of my house when I heard my neighbor whom I hadn't seen in a while call to me.

"You're looking slim and trim!"

"I am?" I was shocked that she could tell a difference in my shape.

I had been eating a low-fat diet for about three weeks and I could tell a difference in the way my clothes fit but my weight hadn't changed when I had my doctor's appointment last month. I figured it was just my wishful thinking, but when Wanda noticed a change I realized my eating plan must be working.

Speaking of doctors, mine wants to put me on cholesterol-lowering medication, but I begged him to let me try to get the levels down through diet and exercise. He's giving me three months or I'm on the pill!

I know that cutting out refined sugar and excess carbohydrates and eating a low-fat, high-fiber diet will bring the levels down-especially if combined with regular exercise. Even a small amount of exercise is helpful. I've done this plan before but I quit during the holidays when all that scrumptious high-fat, sugar sweet food tempted me.

Staying consistent with my plan is my downfall. I've found that when I completely deprive myself of everything I love to eat I fall off the diet wagon before it hits the first bump on the dusty trail.

Since I have no choice but to adhere to a healthy eating plan that will lower my cholesterol, I've got to have something I know I will stick with. My solution is the 80/20 plan. I'll stay on my plan 80% of the time, but I'll allow myself some flexibility 20% of the time. I can monitor this by how many fat grams I'm taking in during a 24- hour period. Eighty-percent of the time I will make sure I take in less than 60 grams of healthy fat per day. Other times, I'll let my taste buds have a treat and splurge with a small taste of something I crave.

Having flexibility in my health plan will encourage me to stay with it and get myself into better condition; hopefully without medication.

Article Source