Pages

4/06/2016

Loads of Fun With a Radio Controlled Helicopter



Recently I've been looking for fun outdoor activities that my whole family can enjoy. None of us are very athletically inclined, so we're not likely to pick up a baseball bat or a football anytime soon. We don't particularly like fishing or camping either, which means those things are off limits as well. But I still wanted us to be able to do something other than sit on the couch and play video games or watch movies all weekend. After visiting a hobby shop, I came home with a radio controlled helicopter -- and that proved to be the perfect answer for my family!

I am very surprised at how much fun we've all been having with our new radio controlled helicopter. At first glance, this doesn't seem like an activity that could occupy the four of us for very long. After all, only one person can be at the controls at a given time, so unless I go out and buy a radio controlled helicopter for each of us that means three people are essentially just standing around. But even just watching someone else fly the chopper is highly entertaining, especially when the non-pilots shout out tips, advice, and warnings along the way. It's kind of hard to explain on paper, but trust me, we've been having a blast!

The radio controlled helicopter that I bought was an entry-level model that's perfect for beginner pilots. It wasn't very expensive, and is a lost easier to control than some of the more sophisticated models that are on the market. With this basic chopper, we'll be able to get in some much-needed practice of takeoffs and landings, as well as keeping the craft aloft. There have been quite a few crashes and spills already, but fortunately we haven't broken anything thus far. I don't want to have to order any replacement parts or learn how to make repairs just yet.

Once we all get some more experience and once I know our interest in this new hobby isn't simply a passing fancy, I'll definitely be interested in getting a more sophisticated machine, such as a gas-powered radio controlled helicopter. I've seen other folks out at the field with these things, and they are amazing to watch! They sound great, maneuver well, and look like real challenge to operate. In fact, I wouldn't mind racing one of those choppers someday.

Overall, I have to say that I'm very pleased with my purchase of a radio controlled helicopter. It has provided my family with a wonderful way to spend some quality time together out in the fresh air and sunshine, which is all I ever wanted at the beginning anyway. Now here's hoping the good times continue for many years to come!